Bell Let's Talk
In any given year one in five Canadians will experience a mental health problem or illness. 60% of individuals suffering from a mental health problem will not seek out treatment. In a given week, 500,000 Canadians are unable to work due to mental illness. 70% of adults living with mental illness report their symptoms started in childhood. Mental health problems occur in people of all ages, education, income levels, and cultures.
Bell Let’s Talk Day aims to end the stigma surrounding mental illness and to raise funds to support mental health initiatives.
Bell has outlined 5 ways to end the stigma surrounding mental health:
1. Your words matter – choose inclusive language and avoid language that may be hurtful to those suffering from mental illness.
2. Educate yourself – learning about mental illness makes it easier to have conversations about mental illness and mental health.
3. Be kind – kindness can go a long way in showing someone that you care. Take the time to reach out to a friend in need and let them know that you are there for them and willing to listen. Be supportive and avoid phrases such as “you’ll get over it” and “just relax”.
4. Listen and ask – starting a conversation with someone suffering from mental illness can be as simple as asking “I noticed you’ve been down lately, is everything okay?” or “is there anything I can do to help?”. Once the conversation does begin be sure to allow them to speak freely and listen to what they are saying. Letting someone talk about what they’re going through can be the best way to support them.
5. Talk about it – two out of three people with mental illness suffer in silence. Help break the silence by engaging in conversations about mental health. Discussing mental illness is necessary to end the stigma.
On Wednesday January 31st Bell will donate 5 cents to mental health initiatives for every:
- Text sent on a Bell network (be sure to turn off iMessage!)
- Mobile or long distance call made on a Bell network
- Tweet or Instagram post made using #BellLetsTalk
- Facebook using the Bell Let’s Talk frame
- Snapchat sent using the Bell Let’s Talk filter
- View of the Bell Let’s Talk video